Tuesday, September 25, 2007

FlickRing and Trading Cards


Confession time: the primary purpose of this blog is fulfill the exercises of Harris County Pubic Library's iHCPL program. In this program employees of HCPL get an introduction to, and learn to implement many of the new resources and applications (popularly known as Web 2.0 applications or social software) available on the internet. In real life, I have been dealing with these things for many years. I created my first webpage back in 1993, etc. etc. However, the iHCPL program is quite comprehensive, and I am getting fully informed on a number of resources and possibilities to which previously I had only a glancing introduction.

In this post, I want to mention fulfilling two of the exercises.

First:
I have created a Flickr photo-sharing account. As most of you probably know, Flickr is a website/resource for uploading, saving, and sharing images and photography. These images can also be tagged with concise subject labels called "tags". By browsing these tags through searches, much social interaction goes on in the realm of Flickr. For example, if you are interested in images (and people taking photos) of your hometown, you would simply search for your town's name. You can make comments regarding each photograph and thus interact with the account-holder.

Second:
One of the images on on my Flickr account is my librarian trading cardTM. I created this with FDToys, a web application with which one is able to immediately create a trading card similar to those used for role-playing games or sports. Librarianship is sometimes both a role-playing game and a sport, but it never pays quite as well as either. In any case, my card presents my "special library powers", along with an image from one of my favorite music albums.


No comments: